Authentic Mexican Blankets ~ La Playa Serape Grande - View Colors
Shipping calculated at checkout.
In 1519, when Hernán Cortés arrived in Mexico, the Aztecs were wearing blanket garments made from a mixture of cotton and agave cactus fibers, and dyed using organic materials, such as crushed fruits and insects. The Aztecs believed that wearing bright colors would bring favors from the gods, while warding off any evil spirits. The intricate patterns and designs were originally used to identify one’s family or social status, as well as which hometown or region the wearer originated from. Serapes were originally worn by men, while women would wear similar woven blanket-like garments called rebozos or huipiles.
- Measures 60" x 84", 2.3 lbs
- Cotton/Poly Blend
- Hand Made with love and care by our neighbors in Baja
- High quality authentic blanket
- Every piece is uniquely made and never exactly the same
- Colors may vary in design to truly be one of a kind
- Suggested Retail $42.00 USD